Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thankful

Wow, it has been a while since I posted anything.  I work I'm the retail world for the big bad 'spark' so November is a whirlwind.  The first snow of the year always brings in a pilgrimage of people looking for ice melt, window scrapers, and anything else to keep them warm.  In my corner of the store that also means lots of wiper blades and many, many procrastinators getting snow tires put on.  Just a small piece of advice, if you use snow tires on your vehicle in the winter and want to avoid the two plus hour wait at the tire center, get them installed as soon as your state allows, usually somewhere around October.  This year we had a deal for $20 oil changes the weekend before Thanksgiving which led to another very busy weekend.  I've been in this position changing oil and tires for over 6 months and I can still find no rhyme or reason to how it effects my blood sugar, other than every time I get under a car for an oil change, my blood sugar drops.  After the busy weekend I got a small rest on Monday and then it was straight into finishing touches for the big Thanksgiving sale.  Last year I played a big role in this from start to finish but because of the responsibilities of my new position I wasn't able to.  I was however called in at the last minute to finalize several things, which meant I was left with 2 days to take care of a few things that should have been started at least a week before.  At the end of it, after almost 70 hours put in and turning around from leaving the store at just before 9 pm Thursday and getting back at 6 am Friday I am exhausted.  Nevertheless I survived another Thanksgiving and Black Friday.  Thrown in the mix there somewhere there has also been a snag with the financing for our new house which is now just a couple months from completion.  Thankfully the Pretty Lady in My Life has been battling that but we are now at a bit of a stop waiting to see if we will be able to finance a second house while renting our current one, or if we are going to have to put our current house on the market and pray that it sells quickly.  Either way, this weekend is now about trying to catch up on some much needed rest, fix the things that need fixing around the house, and decorate for the holidays.  I do love this time of year but boy can it be hectic.

Since I missed out on a all the Thanksgiving fun this year I wanted to share a few things that I'm thankful for:

1. My family.  I have a loving and patient wife without whom I couldn't hold this all together.  Two smart, hilarious kids who aware always finding new ways to surprise and impress me
2.  Having a job that allows me to provide for that family.  We might not always be able to get everything we want but we always have the things we need
3.  Access to good healthcare.  Sure I wish I didn't need to use it as much as I do and I'll always complain about the cost, but I am so glad that I live where I will never have to worry about getting in to see a doctor or if I will have access to my next dose of medicine.
4.  Dr. Banting.  Without his research I wouldn't be around to be thankful for anything 
5.  The DOC.  And Wednesday night DSMA chats.  There is always someone there for support and every Wednesday I finish up feeling better than when I started.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Craig! Sounds like a whirlwind of crazy busy times and a lot of stress. I hope you're able to recover a little after the holidays and all of your house stuff goes through.

    Thanks for sharing your stories with us. I love that your twitter profile also mentions the emotional side of life with diabetes - that's an area that is very underserved and doesn't get talked about enough in my opinion.

    Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott! It has been busy but it's the home stretch. I agree, the emotional side of diabetes is under recognized and I try to do my part to put it out there when I can...although it did take a while to convince myself it was ok

      Delete