Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Unaware

Two nights ago, just after crawling into bed, my blood sugar dropped from above 200 to under 70 over the course of an hour.  My CGM alarmed for a reading of 64 just after 11 pm.  Then again for a reading of less than 55 a few minutes later.  And I didn't feel a thing.  When it was still showing a reading of 40 a while later I decided I'd better do a finger stick check and was sure that my sensor was off because I didn't feel the slightest bit low.  CGM said 40, bg meter said 49.  Pretty close.  Then, last night around midnight, I was awakened by a low alarm.  I vaguely remember looking at the screen and seeing a red 63, silenced the alarm and went back to sleep.  I don't remember any more alarms, but there must have been more because looking at the graph this morning the low continued.  Until the graph disappears all together.  When I grabbed the Dexcom this morning to check my levels as I do every morning it was turned off.  At some point in the night I tired mind must have thought the best way to get the alarms to stop was to turn off the receiver.  Genius move, Craig.  Not only do I not feel my lows, now I am turning off the one warning system I have in the middle of the night.  Why do I not feel low at all?  I read a lot about people feeling the effects of bg below 50 or 60 and not being able to function and yet I can fall to 40 and not even realize it if not for the CGM.  I don't know which is scarier, reacting in a way that shows some pretty frightening physical symptoms or not reacting at all.  What happens on the day I don't have my CGM on or if I can't afford it?  Am I going to drop low and not know it until I am unconscious?  Of notice too late to react?  Or even worse will I be driving and drop low with now warning and become a danger to others?  Will my kids be in the car?  Just one more thing that scares the shit out of me.  One more thing the haunt the recesses of my mind as go throughout the day and one more thing to think about before I go to sleep.  Am I going to wake up tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment