Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Giving Back

     About 5 years ago I started feeling the desire to give back to my community.  There were always people around me who were willing to help out others when there was a need.  I just couldn't find a way that worked for me.  My job offers me a lot of opportunities to donate money and I take advantage of those but I was looking for more.  After being diagnosed with diabetes in 2011 I spent a lot of time on the American Diabetes Association website and came across the Step Out program.  I really wanted to participate but the closest event was too far away to be feasible.  I began asking about the possibility of starting a Step Out walk in the Boise area and was introduced to the Community Walk program.  I brand new program, Community Walks were designed for smaller cities too far away from Step Out walks to participate.  It is entirely volunteer driven and has no monetary support from the ADA.  2012 was the inaugural year for Community Walks and I was contacted in July about the new program.  We set a date in September, leaving a small amount of time to plan our walk.  In the end it was a less stellar turnout than envisioned but still a very good experience for me.  I had a lot of family attend but not many people beyond that.  Thanks to a lot of help from my Father-in-law we raised over $1000.  Which brings me to today...

     This past Saturday was our Second Annual Walk to Stop Diabetes.  There was a much larger turnout, around 25 people, and raised around $1300.  We should be getting another $1000 from a volunteer program through my employer and $550 from my father-in-laws employer.  That is huge!  All those funds go to the American Diabetes Association and is used for research towards a cure, funding community outreach and education programs and keeping PWDs from being discriminated against because of their diabetes.  I am so thankful for the support of local, businesses, our community, the people I work with, and my family.  This event would not have happened without them. I am grateful to be able to do something to give back to an orgonanization that is striving to help all of us who battle diabetes everyday.

Thanks to all of you who donated, walked, and showed your support.  We'll see you all next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment