Saturday, December 27, 2014

Funk

Tuesday marked my most recent endo appointment (only the second with an endo, ever, as I was seeing PC doctors previously).  All in all it was a great appointment.  I am happy with the care I am receiving from the doctor thus far and the office great.  The staff is friendly and calls with reminders of my upcoming appointments and reminders to get labs done the week before.  Dr. Ennis listens to any questions I have, gives me an opportunity to say what I need to say, and always follows up on things we had talked about at previous appointments.  My blood pressure was a little elevated but not enough to cause any alarm just yet.  We followed up on my questions about pumping from the last appointment but it is on the back burner for a while because my insurance just plain sucks when it comes to anything more than the standard care stuff (which also sucks at, but a little bit less).  I did ask to switch my scripts from pens to vials because it is a little cheaper if less convenient (a refer to previous sentence re: insurance).  In the end we decided to stay the course I'm on but try to test a little more often since I'm not able to CGM until I can get a new transmitter. All of my labs came back looking good and my A1c stayed level at 6.6, down .1 from 3 months ago.  That's the part that surprised me the most because of this funk that seem to be and just can't pull myself out of.  Emotionally I'm feeling much better but I still can't seem to get a grip on the everyday stuff.  I need to test more often.  There are times when I know that I'm high and I know why.  I know that I should test and treat but I don't.  I'll grab a snack or have lunch, consciously think about how many carbs are in it, how much insulin is needed to cover, and that's where it stops.  A couple more very easy steps is all that's needed from there.  Test, pull out my pen, put on a needle if needed and inject.  So simple in theory, yet so hard to bring myself to do it.  Sometimes it's just not convenient. I'm at work, wearing a long sleeve shirt that is tucked in and getting to an injection site is a bit of a pain.  Hardly a legit excuse but it still gets used.  Other times I just can't take another injection.  Usually after one or two particularly painful injections previously.  I've been doing this for almost 3 years and the needles and injections still get to me sometimes.  It's such a mental game that never ends.  It seems like it should be so simple to just pull out that pen and inject, and at times it is, but all too often there is this mental block.  I go through the whole routine and there is something there that keeps me from finishing the process.  I think it starts with baby steps.  Getting back into the habit of testing at least 4 times a day.  Getting back to having a routine until counting carbs, dialing a dose, and injecting is one seamless motion again.  Hopefully while I'm on vacation next month and into the new house I can take some time to address the things that need addressing.  Or maybe I'm not missing things as much as I think I am?  A 6.6 A1c is good with me but I suspect the funk just wasn't going on long enough beforehand to have a big effect, and then there are those nagging lows that tend to throw off the average.  Anyone have any pointers on how to defunkify?  On the bright side someone was reading my mind and got me this for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment